Thursday 23 June 2022

Scotland By Rail - half an hour in Port Glasgow, + video

Next post - Wemyss Bay and ferry to Bute

Third post - on Bute, a 6km circular walk from Rothesay.


On my way to Wemyss Bay and the ferry to Rothesay (see future posts) I broke my journey in Port Glasgow. I wanted to see John McKenna's newly installed 33ft tall sculpture, Shipbuilders of Port Glasgow. I had half about half an hour before my next train and the walk to the shore and Shipbuilders is no more than five minutes, so fifteen minutes to enjoy looking out over the River Clyde, at the not-yet-finished ferry MV Glen Sannox, at the colossal Shipbuilders, at other public art I didn't know was there, and at a black guillemot. 

The Shipbuilders of Port Glasgow are truly outstanding. Here they are:


Shipbuilders of Port Glasgow, John McKenna


Shipbuilders of Port Glasgow, John McKenna


And here they are again in this short video / video blog / vlog I put on my:
Take your pick!



The Clyde:

The River Clyde, looking north-west towards Helensburgh, the Rosneath peninsula and beyond.
Click here for previous Helensburgh Scotland By Rail blog post.)


MV Glen Sannox, under construction..


Black guillemot. Living on the east coast I rarely see them.
The moment you get to a bit of west coast shore - there they are.
DYK they have bright red feet and inside-mouths to match?



Another shipping sculpture:





And other public art:





An excellent set of murals at Port Glasgow station:





I'll go for more than half an hour next time.





-----------------------


Getting to Port Glasgow:

Port Glasgow is 20 miles west of Glasgow. The journey takes roughly half an hour from Glasgow Central station with three trains an hour on weekdays and Saturdays and two an hour on Sundays.

Check ScotRail 'Buy Tickets' in advance of your journey - www.scotrail.co.uk




-----------------------

Thank you for reading my Scotland By Rail blog.

Please spread the word and do let me know of any of your favourite railway days out. 


No comments:

Post a Comment